Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cover Letters Uncovered!

The advice given at CollegeGrad.com seems reasonably credible, and after reading other sources on cover letters, was one of the most helpful.  I am glad that this class provides me with the tools I will need to be more successful as a professional - before doing this and other research, I was unaware of their value and the extent of their use.

Cover letters are application wrapping paper.  From what I learned about the reality of cover letters, employers tear through stacks of applications with one initiative: review resumes.  A cover letter is often overlooked at first to expedite the process of getting a position filled with a quality employee.  

One piece of advice that I have not allowed my mind to be convinced is a good idea is to hand-write a postscript (P.S.).  To me, with all the other documents being professional-looking and standard typed, a handwritten note on the front seems like a killer.  I do understand the concept of the employer seeing this first and perhaps reading the cover letter sooner, but I can not see it boding well as a technique to present the possible hire as professional.

I can relate to the tip about not sending mass emails because I delete eighty percent of mine without reading them.  I am sure employers looking to have a position filled get plenty of emails a day, and those that go by the offices likely have better chances of getting the job.  However, if you were referred to someone who is expecting to hear from you, an email would not be a ticket for a rejection letter.  

The value of cover letters is not diminished if they are crafted succinctly and skillfully.  They can be a beneficial addition to a resume or an ineffective impediment to getting the job.  If you consider a resume a gift, it is best to wrap that gift in the gold wrapping paper that is a compelling cover letter.

No comments: