Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ten Years from Now...

As a second year senior, I have been forced to think about my future all too often in the recent year or so. I know that when people ask me, "What are you doing after you graduate?", I always end up listing my plans by importance, without regard to a budget. The list is short, but if each was fulfilled, I would be completely satisfied. It is as follows:

1) Travel to Europe.
This is first on my list because I have never been, and I feel it necessary to experience before I continue on any other endeavor. The only issue is my finances, and if they will hold up enough to allow me to go to all the European cities I would like. They include: Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Genoa, Rome, Athens, among others.

2) Get a job.
I would like a
n entry-level position in a financial analyst firm. I cannot be too picky on a location, but I am hoping to get a job offer somewhere in the southeast. My preference would be Charleston, then Greenville, and then Athens or Asheville. I have been very interested in my new major (Economics) and am anxious to begin work.

3) Buy a new car.
I have always driven the lower priced cars (Corolla, Camry), so when I start getting a decent paycheck, I would like to purchase a new, more valuable car. I am a sucker for speed and beauty, so an Audi (or something comparable), would be my vehicle of choice. I am also excited about learning how to finance assets, build credit, and manage money, and buying an expensive car will force me to do that.

4) Buy a house.
To finally settle down in a house and have a place to call home will be a great feeling. My dog will hopefully have a big yard to run around, and I will have the perfect kitchen. I would obviously like to call one of the aforementioned cities home, but I am prepared to move most anywhere. If I become successful in my profession, I will likely have to live around larger cities for some amount of time.

5) Build a family.
A wife and a few kids will complement my dog, Penny well. All I can ask for is a woman who invests the time and love that I hope to invest in her. I would probably like to have two or three children, at least one girl and one boy. Having a supportive, loving family is the most important thing about my future, and if all goes well, the list can end here.

I'll be 34 in ten years, and I would like to have accomplished all of the above by then (minus one kid, maybe). Now when I'm asked that question about my post-grad plans, I can simply say, check my blog.

No comments: