Sunday, September 14, 2008

Job Interview Articles

Response to "Six Common Job Interview Questions" by Tom Musbach:

This article caught my attention immediately as something valuable I would need to know in order to be confident in an interview. Prior knowledge of these common interview questions can prepare me to have a solid response that would only better my chances at being given the job offer. I can easily see fielding any of these questions in an interview for a position I might want to fill.

Questions like "Why did you leave your last position?" are aggressive and demand a calm and legitimate response. I learned that one should always be honest, and refrain from speaking negatively about a previous job. The ramifications are obvious, as potential employers might feel that that the person is unable to cooperate, or that he or she holds unhealthy grudges.

Questions like "Can you describe a previous work situation in which you...?" and "What is your ideal work environment?" can give insight to interviewers about how a person might fit into the company mold. A sense of cohesiveness among coworkers is necessary for a successful business, and responding with strong, objective driven answers can really impress a future employer.


Response to "The Second Interview" by Caroline Levchuck:

This article was most helpful in providing good points relating to how to handle a second interview once passing the initial. To me, the second interview seems like perhaps the most important time spent with potential coworkers before terms of hire are agreed upon and settled.

During this time, one should be personable, approachable, and distinguishable as a worthy member of the business team. This is another good time to meet many new people, develop a list of contacts, and provide concrete examples of how your skills and experiences could add value to the company and it's objectives.

Determining the proper steps to take as follow up is just as important as preparation, and can make or break a job offer for a candidate. I was unaware that one should never take a job offer on the spot, but instead avoid hasty decisions. I could have easily seen myself getting overly-excited and biting at a handsome offer.


Both of these articles were very helpful in preparing me for the importance of the many factors that contribute to a successful interviewing process. I will likely read the others, and any other tools provided for me through this course as it can only foster a desire to achieve a high level of success in any endeavor I choose.

No comments: